The key to success in publishing a book is to provide true value to your reader. Your book can’t simply be marketing fluff or a repeat of ideas that already pervade the marketplace. You need to tell a compelling story that offers your reader insight into the problems they’re facing. Present a new way of thinking about the problems, offer possible solutions. Demonstrate that you understand their situation and that you’ve put serious effort into thinking about it. Do that and your book will lead your reader right to your door for more. So what should you write about? Here are a few suggestions:
- Take a strong position on a topic and offer insights on an issue important to your readers.
- Describe a new type of solution your audience hasn’t seen before.
- Demonstrate how your ideas, products, services have led directly to business improvement.
- Describe a problem (your audience may not realize it’s a problem) in a new way and propose an original solution.
- Bring a clear, unique point of view that distinguishes you or your company from your competitors.
- Demonstrate your practical know-how to drive business to your website and generate social media buzz.